IMAGEine MySelf (IM): A creative family journey of self-discovery into the world of nature through photographic arts and storytelling. IM builds on the Love This Land theme at beautiful and inspiring Whatcom Land Trust properties.
Personal Opportunities include:
- Learn camera and storytelling skills that will help your family capture and share the joy, wonder and relationships of Nature.
- Deepen multi-generational communication and understanding by participating in adult/student pair discovery teams.
- Get outside and have some fun.
IMAGEine MySelf was initially conceived as a means of using nature photography to guide students in seventh through twelfth grades to connect with nature in a creative and confidence building way. We have shared this experience with students from Assumption School, Explorations High School, and the Sedro Woolley Library system. Working with the Whatcom Land Trust we are the program to allow students and their adult others to share this exciting creative experience together.
Each family team in this weekend program will be taught creative photographic and storytelling skills by knowledgeable mentors and develop proficiency in the following areas:
Imaging techniques and use of photographic Technology
Creating a family narrative through images and writing
Collaborating in youth-adult teams
Self-reflection, self-discovery, and self-management
Presentation skills and techniques
- This program will be offered four times over the Summer and early Fall on a first come first serve basis.
- Each offering has space and cameras (provided by IM) for 5 teams.
- We are asking for family teams of one adult (parent, grand-parent or surrogate parent) and one student (from 7th to 12th grade).
- There is a $20.00 per family fee to cover administration and maintenance costs.
Day one: 8 hours at the selected Whatcom Land Trust site (The first site will be Skookum Creek)
4 hours learning camera techniques (experiential lab)
4 hours capturing images
Day two: 2 hours – An evening zoom call on how to select and assemble image based stories
Day three: 2 hours – An evening zoom call presenting the selected images of each team.
Dates for each session are:
June 19 Skookum Creek
June 20 Skookum Creek (rain day)
June 21 Zoom (how to select and assemble)
June 23 Zoom (presentation)
July 17 Land Trust site TBD
July 18 Land Trust site TBD (rain day)
July 19 Zoom (how to select and assemble)
July 21 Zoom (presentation)
August 21 Land Trust site TBD
August 22 Land Trust site TBD (rain day)
August 23 Zoom (how to select and assemble)
August 25 Zoom (presentation)
September 18 Land Trust site TBD
September 19 Land Trust site TBD (rain day)
September 20 Zoom (how to select and assemble)
September 22 Zoom (presentation)
Fee: $20 per team. Cash or Check (payable to The Centre for The New Human), payable one week in advance of registered session.